Thursday, November 17, 2011

Missionaries

For my school, I have to do at least 10 hours of service. I decided to go to a local elementary school and help with the after-school program.

As I was walking to the school, which is about 6 blocks away, I was stopped by the missionaries :)

They walked right up to me and asked my name.

"Josh Willliamson. How are you?"

"We're doing good, what about you?"

"I am doing good." With a smile

"Are you Mormon?"

Hahahahahahaha! "Yeah!"

"I knew it, you were too nice."

"Yeah, sorry I'm not Mormon... I would totally accept the Gospel."

"Well, do you know anyone that is a non-member?"

"I don't... the only reason I come up to Salt Lake is to go to school at LDS Business College. The only people I see are LDS. But do you guys have a pass-along card with your number on it? If I run into someone, I will give it to them."

"YEAH!!!!! That would be great. Can we give you some homework too?"

"Anything." I thought they were going to ask me to read a certain chapter in the Book of Mormon.

BUT...

They hand me the card and a Book of Mormon with three pamphlets in it. "Give that to someone."

"I'll do that!"

I found out that one of the elders was out on his first day. I was sooooo happy for him. We shook hands, said goodbye, and I walked off.

With a smile. With a warmth. With a renewed happiness.

This experience made me realize that in a year I will be spreading the Gospel to the world. In a year I could have a profound effect on someone's life, just because I walked up to them, with a smile on my face and name tag on my suit pocket.

I also thought about all of my friends, close and not so close, but friends nonetheless, that have gone out to the world to further the Work.





These are the few that I can just remember from the top of my head. One of my friends is leaving soon... McKay Johnson, and I hope that he realizes how much I look up to him.

Before you guys finish, I have a challenge for you. Don't worry-- it's for the missionaries.

I want you, yes YOU, to share the Gospel with someone. Give out a Book of Mormon, share a testimony, anything to spread the Gospel. It has to be personal, not a link on Facebook. Be it the weird guy on Trax, the scruffy-looking guy smoking on the curb, or the friend you have had that you know could be blessed by the Gospel.

Do it. Report back here.

Oh, I neglected to mention that there is a time limit.... until Christmas Eve.

No comments:

Post a Comment