Monday, March 21, 2011

Book Review: Shadow of the Giant

Well, it has taken me a third of a year, but I have finally finished Bean's half of the Ender Saga. And man, has it been a great ride. It started with, of course, Ender's Game. Brilliant book, by the way. Then, the parallel novel, Ender's Shadow. Then Shadow of the Hegemon, Shadow Puppets, and lastly Shadow of the Giant.

The reason Shadow of the Giant is so brilliant is the end. But it will take some explaining to get to that:

Bean, the protagonist, is a boy of about 16 in the novel. He has an impairment called Antons Key. This illness is based of the idea of Adam and Eve and the Forbidden Fruit. Adam and Eve lived forever, right? They were immortal, but there was a downside: A lack of knowledge. At least, until they partook of the fruit. Then they lost their immortality, and gained knowledge. So, when Antons Key is "turned" or present in someone, it blesses the person with an insane IQ. The person can basically learn anything and everything, and be fifty steps ahead of everyone. However, it comes at a price: Life. The bearer of Antons Key can only live to be, at most, 20 years old. See the logic? Yes, I know, it's hard to follow. Just don't get me started on the Theory of Relativity. It's insane stuff, and Card implements it in his novels.

ANYWAYS...

Bean, the bearer of Antons Key, didn't believe in God. He didn't believe God would let a monster like himself be born, let alone pass his genes (In the future, I guess everyone will have babies at a young age. This book is placed about 200 years in the future though). However, he learns throughout the whole series that love is God. Because of his Wife, because of his illness, Bean realizes that God does indeed exist. That God omnipotent, does things to help better people. He realizes, in the end, that everything and everyone has a reason. And that is why this whole series is amazing!!

As you have figured out, I read only amazing novels, like the Kite Runner, or Ender's Game. It's because it's a passion of mine to be able to feel through literature.

So, out of five stars, I give the book  4.99999 stars. Yes, it is impossible to have a perfect book. Only amazing books and crappy books exist. No perfect books.

So, I hope I sparked someone's interest.

And now I guess I have to reread Ender's Game to get my juices flowing for Ender's side of the story. Another five books to read. HALLELUJAH! And a new books comes out tomorrow: Scorpia Rising, by Anthony Horowitz. I am just dying to read the last of the Alex Rider books!!

And the reason this series took me so long was.... well, take a look:

That's the flowchart for the series. The red ones are short stories. The blue, obviously novels.

And Orson Scott Card is Mormon, another Bonus!

No comments:

Post a Comment