The Screwtape Letters.
C.S. Lewis. The one who can make any not-exciting topic, such as mortality, and put a new twist on it. He wrote this particular book in a refreshing perspective: from a demon's own perspective.
The book is a collection of letters that an "Uncle demon," Screwtape, sends advice to his nephew, Wormwood, on how to secure a man's soul to damnation.
The books addresses several topics, such as why good people suffer trials. On page 38, Screwtape explains to his nephew how to secure a man's soul when the man goes through his cycle of "peaks and troughs," Peaks, being spiritually strong, and troughs being when man is at his weakest state.
"He [God] relies on the troughs even more than on the peaks; some of His special favorites have gone through longer and deeper troughs than anyone else... It is during such trough periods, much more than during the peak periods, that it[man] is growing into the sort of creature He[God] wants it[man] to be.”
I shared this quote with a mission prep leader, and he told me that God always work best in the troughs, because that's when people are most humble, most willing to accept God.
My review? Beautifully written, satire even, Lewis understands how to provoke thought and recapture ideas. All of this made possible due to the unique perspective he offers. The book lifts you up, and you keep going up.
However, it's not in my top five (even though I don't really have one). I loved it, but I loved The Kite Runner even more.
I recommend it though. It's a good read.
No comments:
Post a Comment